Monday, January 17, 2011

Your Life In The Natural Lane: Introducing... Ms. Heather M

 Why we love her....
1. SHE IS FROM MY HOMETOWN!!!!! CHI-TOWN
2. DON'T YOU JUST LOVE HER CURLS!!!

How long have you been natural?

Started my transition in March of 2009...and officially cut off all my permed ends in March of 2010



What made you want to go natural?

I honestly did not understand the meaning of going natural at first, my beautician was only giving me 1 to 2 perms a year and she realized I was hurting my hair by doing it so infrequently, sooooo she suggested I try going natural. So glad I did!



What made you do Transitioning
opposed to the Big Chop?

I was way too nervous about chopping off all my hair, I applaud the women that can do that…at that time in my life I wasn’t gutsy enough to attempt to TWA. I wore sew ins while my hair transitioned.

What was your initial reaction?

I didn’t realize the beauty of my natural hair until I stopped wearing sew –ins a year later. I was in awe at how beautiful my natural hair was, I couldn’t remember it being like this and was mad at myself for ever getting a perm lol.



What advice would you give someone new to the natural scene, that you wish someone would have told you?

Be comfortable with your hair! Don’t worry about the negative remarks from friends/family who may not like the change. If you love it that’s all that matters…try new styles and rock them confidently. Oh and try not to become a product junkie…LOL..research your products before buying so that you’re not wasting money.



What is one product you can not live without?

I have two! One is my Shea Moisture curl and style milk…and the other one is CHI- Silk Infusion oil…the CHI isn’t considered a “natural” product...but it makes my hair soft and helps it to shine.




Who would you consider to be your natural inspiration?

Hate to be cliché but Kim Love “kimmaytube”  has definitely been an inspiration. After seeing her progress with her growth and the healthiness of her hair, I got on my job with taking care of my naps lol.  [Then there is] Ms. Keisha was my inspiration on the low ;-)


Do you have hair regimen, and if you have one, what is it?

I guess my weekly wash and/or co-wash. I generally wash my hair weekly. Before washing I detangle my hair using virgin coconut oil and a spray water bottle. I try to comb out any coils before hopping in the shower. I wash with Kinky Curly shampoo and condition with shea moisture’s “shea butter leave in conditioner”…



Have you changed from this experience?

Yes! I'm more bold about trying new things..and I'm more carefree about how people perceive me…I definitely grew tougher skin!



Do you have any regrets?

The only regret I have is not doing this sooner and also not realizing how to “transition. Like I said earlier I wore sew ins, but instead of getting a sew in where no hair was out..I had a small section in the front out…I continued to flat iron and blow dry it regularly and I suffered heat damage. The front of my hair is slowly curling like the rest of my hair, but there’s a huge difference in hair type from the front and the back.

3 comments:

  1. i so love the natural look! iwas thinking about going natural myself b/c i barely show my real hair anyway i just keep sew ins in my hair. but i also know how im always eager for change, so im always saying to myself girl dont rush it u have pleneety time?! but as time goes by my hair is getting in a deeper hole of being unhealthy. b/c what ppl fail to realize that when u wear weave ur not only trying to care for the weave but u have to care for your hair underneath the weave as well or your hair is gonna start to shave. so my advice to women that wears weave is to keep your hair deep conditioned and oiled before the weave and to keep your hair oiled underneath the weave. but i honestly think the new look is popping girl keep it up! LondonBRIDGES-shalondra

    ReplyDelete