Friday, November 13, 2009

My mother and my hair...

Seeing that I brought up the picture my mother showed me of how my hair use to look, a flood of memories about my mother, my hair and I came rushing back. I thought that it is only fitting that one of these stories be my next blog topic.


I remember when I was 18 (and still living at home), and this was my first attempt at going natural. My mother sooooo wasn’t having it…lol. My yearning for the natural life was brought on by that saaaammmmeeee picture I spoke about it the "R.I.P. Relaxer" blog post …lol. I remember I was going strong for about 2 ½ months until she just looked at me one day, and was like… “What’s wrong with your head???” I told her my plans to go natural, she just looked at me, shook her head and walked away. That next day she came home from the store with a relaxer in tow with my name on it. I lived under her roof, so there was no need to fight a losing battle with her. She is applied the creamy crack to my head, I started crying on the inside. She scolded me about walking around with my hair looking “crazy”. She told me to never do this to my hair again! Boy was she pissed…lol.


I think a lot of women that grew up around the time my mother did have this thing against “nappy hair”. I can recall another time I was at my grandmother house with my mother, and there was a picture of my cousin Traci and my older sister, and it appeared like they were outside playing. My cousin Traci had this cute little dress on with her hair pressed out and put in two perfect pony tails, and then you look at my sister head…lol, it was nappy and then somebody had the nerve to put a headband on it…lol!!! I remember my other looking at the picture in shame…lol, and then she said “who let her leave out the house with her head looking like that???” My mother was pretty disgusted with my sister’s appearance in that picture…lol.


I have heard many women discuss how their mothers did not agree with there decision to go natural… especial in the beginning stages…lol. I have to admit my mother has not seen my hair yet…lol. Now that I think about it I don’t think any of my family members have seen my hair yet… well I guess they will on Thanksgiving. This outta be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment